Benefits of Membership
BSBI has almost 3,000 members from Britain, Ireland and beyond.
Members receive the following benefits:
- Three issues per year of BSBI News, our members' newsletters.
- Online access to all papers published in New Journal of Botany, our scientific journal which ran from 2011-2017.
- Access to our network of 100+ expert plant referees: they are on hand to assist you in identification of difficult groups.
- Access to the host of field meetings, conferences and other events run throughout the year.
- The BSBI Yearbook which includes full contact details for botanists and local groups in your area.
- Discounts on BSBI publications from Summerfield Books such as The Discovery of the Native Flora of Britain and Ireland.
- Special offers on publications and events.
- There are some great volunteering opportunities with BSBI, most of which are exclusive to BSBI members.
You will receive your membership welcome pack within days of sending us your completed membership form and will then have immediate access to all these benefits and services.
Joining is simple and we have a range of payment options available. Please take the following steps:
1. Download a membership form by left-clicking once on the link. The form is also available as a Word document so you can use whichever version you prefer. Fill it in, save it to your computer and then email it as an attachment to Gwynn Ellis, the membership secretary, or post it to him at 41 Marlborough Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF23 5BU. If you hit any problems, email us for help.
2. Then choose a payment option:
- Direct Debit (print the form, sign it and either scan and email it or post it to the Membership Secretary)
- Online payment (use the button to the right)
- Cheque or postal order (made payable to BSBI and posted to Membership Secretary, 41 Marlborough Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF23 5BU)
- Bank transfer. Contact us for our bank account details.
Paying in Euros
We are pleased to announce that shortly we will be introducing a facility to pay by SEPA Direct Debit in Euros. You can register your interest now by emailing our Finance Manager Julie Etherington.
- Ordinary (UK & Ireland): £30 (€38) per year.
- Family: £4 (€5) for each additional member (but no separate mailings).
- Student: £12 (€15) (up to the age of 21 or up to 25 if in full-time education).
- Overseas: £32 (€40).
- Senior (for longstanding members, see below): £22 (€28).
Subscriptions are due on the 1st of January each year but if you join after 1st October the subscription lasts to 31st December of the following year.
Here's what you can expect to find in your membership welcome pack this year:
The 2018 BSBI Yearbook (100+ pages) with full contact details for 112 expert plant referees, 186 County Recorders and all BSBI staff and officers.
A copy of So You Want to Know Your Plants.
A BSBI bookmark.
A BSBI prospectus.
A welcome letter with lots more useful info, including the password for the members-only area on this website, so you can access New Journal of Botany, order BSBI titles at pre-publication/ members-only prices, and much more; and the password for Summerfield Books' BSBI members-only area so you can save money on further BSBI publications.
Essential BSBI paperwork: our Articles of Association, Annual Review, subscription info, Direct Debit and GiftAid forms.
The ideal gift!
Want to take out a subscription for a friend or relative? It's easy! Just use the PayPal facility to pay their sub and email Gwynn Ellis with your friend's details. He'll send them a membership form to fill in and as soon as he's received the completed form, he'll post them our bumper membership welcome pack!
Our Membership Secretary is Gwynn Ellis. You can contact him on membership matters, including change of addresses, at 41 Marlborough Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF23 5BU.
Making an online payment
You can pay your subscription online using the secure Paypal system (if you don’t have a Paypal account you can still pay online using a debit card). There are two Pay Now buttons below for standard membership categories, so you can pay in either sterling or euros.
Please use the 'Instructions' field below to add your membership number (if you are renewing your subscription) or to tell us that you are a new member.
The Pay Now/ Donate button below allows you to put in the sum that applies to you and set your own payment for other membership categories, subscriptions to BSBI News, etc. Please use this button to pay any non-standard amount.
Members who have been with the Society for at least 10 years, are over 65 and not in full time employment, may apply to the Membership Secretary (Gwynn Ellis) to have their subscriptions reduced to a 'Senior' rate.
We only hold the information requested in order to manage your membership subscription. We will treat your information as confidential, hold it securely and will never pass it on to third parties. The exception is our Subscriber database which BSBI has checked for full compliance with data protection regulations. The lawful basis for processing these data is defined under GDPR regulations as contractual. You can request to see the data we hold on you at any time and we will remove you from our systems and discontinue contact at your request: just email email@example.com and mark your email 'Unsubscribe'.