Thinking of joining us? Our autumn membership special offer offers the best value for money and it opens on 1st October - so hang on for a few more days! Meanwhile, find out about all the benefits of BSBI membership. If you love British & Irish wild flowers, BSBI membership can help you learn more about them and support their conservation. Our c3,000 members made some great achievements last year - we'd like to say a huge thank you to each and every one of them!
Benefits of Membership
BSBI has more than 3,000 members from Britain, Ireland and beyond.
Members receive the following benefits:
- Three issues per year of BSBI News, our members' newsletters.
- Online access to all papers published in New Journal of Botany, our scientific journal which ran from 2011-2017.
- Access to our network of 100+ expert plant referees: they are on hand to assist you in identification of difficult groups.
- Access to the host of field meetings, conferences and other events run throughout the year.
- The BSBI Yearbook which includes full contact details for botanists and local groups in your area.
- Discounts on BSBI publications from Summerfield Books such as Grassland plants of the British & Irish lowlands and the new Gentians Handbook.
- Special offers on, and advance notice of, our publications and events.
- There are some great volunteering opportunities with BSBI, most of which are exclusive to BSBI members.
You will receive your membership welcome pack within days of sending us your completed membership form and will then have immediate access to all these benefits and services.
- Ordinary (UK & Ireland): £35 (€40) per year.
- Family: £5 (€6) for each additional member (but no separate mailings).
- Student: £15 (€18) (up to the age of 21 or up to 25 if in full-time education).
- Overseas: £40 (€45).
- Senior (for longstanding members, see below): £25 (€28)
- Senior Overseas: £30 (€35).
Subscriptions are due on the 1st of January each year but if you join after 1st October the subscription lasts to 31st December of the following year.
Our Membership Secretary is Gwynn Ellis. You can contact him on membership matters, including change of address, at 41 Marlborough Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF23 5BU.
How to join
There are 2 simple steps to join BSBI:
2. Pay your sub - there are a range of online payment options available:
- Direct Debit
- For UK residents paying in pounds sterling please fill in a Paperless Direct Debit form.
For EU residents paying in Euros please fill in a SEPA direct debit form online.
- Pay by credit or debit card
- Please use the PayPal payment buttons below.
- Bank transfer
- Please contact us for our bank account details.
Making an online payment
Whether you are renewing your membership or joining us for the first time, you can pay your subscription online using the secure Paypal system. Even if you don’t have a Paypal account, you can still pay online using a debit card. There are two Pay Now buttons below for standard membership categories, so you can pay in either sterling or euros.
Please use the 'Instructions' field below to add your membership number (if you are renewing your subscription) or to tell us that you are a new member.
The Pay Now/ Donate button below allows you to put in the sum that applies to you and set your own payment for other membership categories, subscriptions to BSBI News, etc. Please use this button to pay any non-standard amount.
Members who have been with BSBI for at least 10 years, are over 65 and not in full time employment, may apply to Gwynn Ellis (Membership Secretary) to have their subscriptions reduced to a 'Senior' rate.
The ideal gift for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries...
Looking for the perfect gift for a friend, relative or partner? If they love wild flowers, we think they will love a year's membership of BSBI! Why not take out a subscription in their name? It's easy:
- Step 1: Use the PayPal facility on this page to pay their sub.
- Step 2: EITHER email Gwynn Ellis with your friend's details and he'll send them a membership form to fill in OR download the form and email it to your friend.
- Step 3: Once Gwynn receives the completed form, he'll send out our membership welcome pack!
Here's what you can expect to find in your membership welcome pack:
A print copy of So You Want to Know Your Plants.
A print copy of the BSBI Code of Conduct.
A BSBI bookmark.
A BSBI prospectus.
A welcome letter with lots more useful info, including the password for the members-only area on this website, so you can access back issues of New Journal of Botany, order BSBI titles at pre-publication/ members-only prices, and much more; and the password for Summerfield Books' BSBI members-only area so you can save money on further BSBI publications and other botany books.
Essential BSBI paperwork: our Articles of Association, a print copy of our latest Annual Review, subscription info, Direct Debit and GiftAid forms.
Membership Secretary Gwynn Ellis says: "Don't forget, I can't post your membership welcome pack to you until I receive your completed membership form - so once you've completed the set-up of your DD instruction or paid by PayPal, you still need to fill in the membership form and email it to me!
Postal options: If you'd rather post your membership form to me, ask for a paper Direct Debit form to be sent to you or pay a subscription by sending me a cheque, my address is 41 Marlborough Road, Roath, Cardiff, CF23 5BU."
At the 2019 BSBI AGM, members voted to increase the membership subscription for the first time since 2015. The new rates are shown above - we think this small increase will enable us to support our loyal members even more effectively in 2020. We hope you'll agree that the new rates still offer excellent value for money.
We only hold the information requested in order to manage your membership subscription. We will treat your information as confidential, hold it securely and will never pass it on to third parties. The exception is our Subscriber database which BSBI has checked for full compliance with data protection regulations. The lawful basis for processing these data is defined under GDPR regulations as contractual. You can request to see the data we hold on you at any time and we will remove you from our systems and discontinue contact at your request: just email firstname.lastname@example.org and mark your email 'Unsubscribe'.